httpd-users mailing list archives

From Hugh Williams <hu...@soco.agilent.com>
Subject [users@httpd] multiple host/virtual host question
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 17:55:52 GMT
Hi;

I need to run web servers as different users due to permission issues
with content owners.  The Virtual host documentation indicates that in
order to use the "User" and "Group" comands within a virtual host, I
must have suexec set up and running properly.  I do not have this set
up, so I am falling back to running separate Apache daemons - distinct
httpd, httpd.conf, document roots and so forth.

My server has two CNAMEs, and my idea is to have one web listener
respond for each name.  Question:  Is there a way to configure these
Apache servers so that they can both listen on port 80, yet only take
the requests that come in for their particular CNAME?  So:

hardware name = sysone
CNAME         = systwo
CNAME         = systhree

I want requests to 'sysone' to be ignored, requests to 'systwo' to be
served (only) by one Apache, and requests to 'systhree' to be served
(only) by the other Apache.

Can the two httpd.conf files be this polite?  My first attempts only
seem to allow one server to start, the other hangs.  I presume this is
due to competing for port 80, but would appreciate any enlightenment.

Thanks,

hugh

--
 Hugh Williams			"And the time will come when you'll see
 hugh_williams@agilent.com  	 We're all very small