httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rudy Koento <rudy_koe...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Doing maintenance in a web server farm
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 08:36:04 GMT
Hi list,

I was wondering how do I update my PHP applications to
all the servers in a LVS cluster at the same time?
Also, if possible, the users shouldn't notice any
downtime.

I was thinking of just copying the whole app to a new
directory in each of the servers, and once all servers
have them, swap the old and new directories.  In this
way, I don't know what would happen to those users
that is in the middle of sending a transaction data.
Will this case arise: the data saved in the database,
but the user is not getting any reply.

Another way was to do a graceful restart to a rewrite
rule that redirect users to maintenance page.  But in
this way, I won't be able to synchronize the servers
app (some may be restarted straight away, and some may
still be accessing old stuff), unless I wait for some time.