httpd-users mailing list archives

From Scott Alexander <...@mail.thefriend.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: OT [users@httpd] Good Load Balancing Appliance
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2003 22:10:40 GMT
Your two big offerings are bigIP, and the CSS devices.  Beyond that,
there are a number of smaller players on the list that can be had for
less money.

I use the CSS devices daily,  I haven't spent much or any time on the
rest of them.  Thats why I have the information about the CSS products
and the details are short.  Using them for three years has also allowed
me to figure out all the things that I don't like about the way they
work.

The CSS device is from Cisco.  It used to be called Arrowpoint, but
Cisco bought that company two or three years back. I believe Cisco has a
more advanced version of the product on the local director or one of
their larger switches.  The F5 product seems to be much better on the
surface compared to these after a good amount of use.  The basics on
them work fine.  Using them with differently performing servers behind
them has caused us some problems using the more advanced load balancing.
The failover on this is very impressive, you are stuck managing two
devices and keeping the configs in sync to do this.  It fails over in
about 5 seconds though, so our customers don't notice this.  Ignore the
ACL's on this device.  They aren't practical to use in a production
environment.  Making them work acceptably is possible, but it is a
complex situation where you will need two VLAN's per switch and have to
gateway between the two segements to make it work.  We put a full
firewall in instead which has given us much better control.  This is
probably a better approach then trying to use ACL's on your load
balancer.
http://www.cisco.com

BigIP is from F5.  I haven't used one of these in production, the demo
device that F5 has seemed very nice for the interface.
http://www.f5.com

I've heard good things about the coyote systems, but haven't used them
at all.  I believe some of the other memebers of this lists were who
mentioned it the first time I saw it, so you should be able to hear
about them.
http://www.coyotepoint.com/

Check the mailing list archives for load balance.  There have been
discussions about this before on the list I believe, so you should be
able to get more information from there.

Scott

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 14:52:57 -0700
Brian Quinn <brian@az511.com> wrote:

> Can someone recommend a good Load Balance Appliance for Web traffic.
> I've been looking on google, but it's surprisingly hard to find them.
>
> I figure people on here use them so i would ask
>

> Thanks
>
> Brian

Scott Alexander
System Administrator