httpd-users mailing list archives

From Zac Stevens <...@cryptocracy.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] CGI application whose name starts with nph- is not executed (bug?)
Date Sun, 06 Apr 2003 00:05:05 GMT
Hi Andres,

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 11:25:55PM +0300, Andres wrote:
> I need to get basic authenticated user name and password to my cgi app.
> Since Apache does not pass password to a cgi app, I try to use cgi app with
> non-parsed headers
> to get password. There is no documentation about this in Apache.

I understand what you're trying to do, but I'm afraid it won't work.
NPH-scripts are used when you need to generate a set of HTTP headers
without Apache interfering - they don't give you special access to the
request environment.

The username and password for basic auth are not made available to CGI
scripts for security reasons.  This is not something which can be
circumvented.

You may want to look into mod_perl or mod_python (I believe both allow you
to extend authentication handlers), or perhaps writing your own
auth module which does what you want.

Cheers,

Zac