httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Huang Xingang" <mpe...@nus.edu.sg>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] A bug in the source code Apache 2.0.45 ?
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2003 01:10:16 GMT
Thank you very much for your comprehensive explanation and your hard work!
I was just confused with the difference between 2.0.44 and 2.0.45 - the
debug condition line.
Your reply already made it clear. I have no real problem yet.

The only reason that I want to compile it by myself is SSL.

Best regards,
Xingang

On 2003-4-3 at 12:35 William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>At 02:35 AM 4/3/2003, you wrote:
>>Thanks for your reply.
>>
>>But I think the option is nessary for users who don't want to debug.
>>The .pdb files seem useless to them.
>
>And they won't get them if the aren't building from source (I'd argue
>that nearly all WIN32 users who build Apache themselves are also,
>to some degree, developers.)
>
>We didn't roll those into the .msi/.exe setup packages for Win32.
>They would have gobbled bandwidth, and users aren't about to grok
>a Dr. Watson log anyways.
>
>Instead, you will see that we distribute the file;
>  apache_2.0.45-win32-x86-symbols.zip
>which can be found on your favorite dist/httpd/binaries/win32/ mirror.
>
>Any user who ends up with a core file can send this file to any developer
>who has this symbol package and a win32 debugger, e.g. the free WinDbg.
>This assures that the Apache team can reproduce such faults.
>
>You are welcome to blast the .pdb files from your installed tree, or set
>them aside if you pass on binaries to other users.  But Without the .pdb
>files corresponding to a given binary distribution, you stand very little
>chance
>of deciphering crash dumps, or even breaking into a running server stuck
>within an infinite loop, to diagnose the problem.  The .pdb file, no
>matter
>if it was distributed or simply kept in house by the original developer,
>assures that such problems can be resolved much more quickly.
>
>The fact is that the Apache developers have no hope of ever reproducing
>every conceivable configuration that is used out there in the real world.
>Sometimes only a specific configuration, on a particular box will exhibit
>certain segfaults or other misbehavior.
>
>To compensate for this change, we eliminated the .map output files,
>which were redundant and not terribly useful compared with .pdb results.
>The net change to the Apache binaries?  A 1kb footnote in each binary
>file that indicates what .pdb file was generated for cross-checking that
>the correct symbols are used.  The resulting binaries are still entirely
>optimized, same as the previous releases.
>
>You have yet to indicate what is the problem you are seeing, if there
>was one in the first place.  Be happy to help, if you would provide
>details.
>
>Bill

Dr. Huang Xingang
Laboratory for Concurrent Engineering & Logistics
Department of Mechanical Engineering
National University of Singapore
10 Kent Ridge Crescent
Singapore 119260