httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Pitfield, Nickolas" <NPitfi...@metasolv.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0 questions
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:54:00 GMT
Joshua,

>Hmmm.... If that is your "100% sure" then I hate to see your answers when
>you are only 99% sure ;-)

Ouch :-)

>The following page:
>http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/docs/setup/httpd/User.html
>shows that ncsa operates in exactly the same way as apache.  That is, when
>started as root, it binds to the port as root, but serves requests under
>the userid specified in the User directive.

I checked the Upgrade page for NCSA and can find no mention anywhere of the
User directive being added so I guess I was wrong after all - and I'm big
enough to admit it :-(

damn & blast - I hate being wrong :-(

>Since almost everyone runs on the default port, almost everyone needs to
>start apache (and ncsa in its time) as root.

Is this true that they mostly run on port 80 ? I know it makes perfect sense
especially when trying to guess a URL, but I saw a lot of servers running on
8888, 8080, 8000 etc in the past and as I haven't been running them myself
recently I tended not to notice port numbers any more. Obviously if using
port 80 then running as root (before switching) is a must. Actually don't
answering - I can only think of a few servers recently that used anything
other than port 80.

>The simple answer: people don't like needing to include the port number in
>the URL.  This: http://example.com:8080/ is much uglier than this:
>http://example.com/

I agree (see comments above).

>The other issue is that if you bind to a non-root accessible port, then
>you need to be aware that other users could steel that port away from you,
>for example, during server restarts.  That is why well-known services are
>run from root-only ports.

True.

Thanks for your answers - as I said I was trying to understand the reasons,
and I think I now do.

Regards.

    Nick Pitfield
Configuration Management Engineer
T: +44 (0)20 7348 1569 E: npitfield@metasolv.com
MetaSolv Software Limited
Avon House, Kensington Village, Avonmore Road, London W14 8TS
T: +44 (0)20 7348 1500 F: +44 (0)20 7348 1501
www.metasolv.com