httpd-users mailing list archives

From ruler...@optonline.net
Subject [users@httpd] apache children dead(lock)?
Date Sat, 26 Apr 2003 04:49:06 GMT
Hello,

      I am having a problem with apache children getting "stuck", I
      guess.  The pid doesn't exist, but the entry still exists in the
      scoreboard.  It will sit there for days taking up a slot, until
      I restart the server.  My servers get aproximately 5-25 million
      hits a day, and within a 24 hour period around 225-500 of apache's
      slots are dead in the scoreboard.  This happens on all my
      servers. Most "SS" are all around the same time (seconds from
      initial request) when they get stuck. I determine "dead" by the SS
      in server-status, since it appears that however many dead,
      subtracted from MaxClients, equals the amount of free slots
      available.  I could very well be wrong, but my apache slows to a
      crawl after 24 hours and I can't find out how to fix this.

      Example from server-status <snipped>

667-0 - 0/0/11 .  0.00 99541 0 0.0 0.00 0.02  209.81.123.0 www.aaa.com GET /fsw.php?id=51
HTTP/1.1
668-0 - 0/0/19 .  0.01 99542 0 0.0 0.00 0.05  24.220.178.0 www.aaa.com GET /files/blah.exe
HTTP/1.1
669-0 - 0/0/6 .  0.00 99550 0 0.0 0.00 0.02  64.78.82.0 www.aaa.com GET /images/computers.gif
HTTP/1.1
670-0 - 0/0/13 .  0.01 99545 0 0.0 0.00 0.02  24.164.134.0 www.aaa.com GET /images/image_02.jpg
HTTP/1.1
671-0 - 0/0/8 .  0.00 99544 3 0.0 0.00 0.01  172.175.226.0 www.aaa.com GET /track.php?id=48
HTTP/1.1
672-0 - 0/0/9 .  0.00 99551 3 0.0 0.00 0.00  172.148.188.0 www.aaa.com GET /hrm.php?id=11
HTTP/1.1
673-0 - 0/0/4 .  0.00 99548 0 0.0 0.00 0.01  165.121.86.0 www.aaa.com GET /files/blah.exe
HTTP/1.1

    If anyone have any information on why children would stop
    processing requests, your help would be greatly appreciated.
    Restarting apache 3 times a day to get maximum performance isn't
    to my likings :-(

    Also, my scripts are coded well, and most of them are simple.
    Most of the content from my page is in HTML/XML format.

--
Best regards