httpd-users mailing list archives

From ruler...@optonline.net
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache children dead(lock)?
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2003 19:22:26 GMT
Hello rulerpen,

Saturday, April 26, 2003, 12:49:06 AM, you wrote:

ron> Hello,

ron>       I am having a problem with apache children getting "stuck", I
ron>       guess.  The pid doesn't exist, but the entry still exists in the
ron>       scoreboard.  It will sit there for days taking up a slot, until
ron>       I restart the server.  My servers get aproximately 5-25 million
ron>       hits a day, and within a 24 hour period around 225-500 of apache's
ron>       slots are dead in the scoreboard.  This happens on all my
ron>       servers. Most "SS" are all around the same time (seconds from
ron>       initial request) when they get stuck. I determine "dead" by the SS
ron>       in server-status, since it appears that however many dead,
ron>       subtracted from MaxClients, equals the amount of free slots
ron>       available.  I could very well be wrong, but my apache slows to a
ron>       crawl after 24 hours and I can't find out how to fix this.

ron>       Example from server-status <snipped>

ron> 667-0 - 0/0/11 .  0.00 99541 0 0.0 0.00 0.02  209.81.123.0 www.aaa.com GET /fsw.php?id=51
HTTP/1.1
ron> 668-0 - 0/0/19 .  0.01 99542 0 0.0 0.00 0.05  24.220.178.0 www.aaa.com GET /files/blah.exe
HTTP/1.1
ron> 669-0 - 0/0/6 .  0.00 99550 0 0.0 0.00 0.02  64.78.82.0 www.aaa.com GET /images/computers.gif
HTTP/1.1
ron> 670-0 - 0/0/13 .  0.01 99545 0 0.0 0.00 0.02  24.164.134.0 www.aaa.com GET /images/image_02.jpg
HTTP/1.1
ron> 671-0 - 0/0/8 .  0.00 99544 3 0.0 0.00 0.01  172.175.226.0 www.aaa.com GET /track.php?id=48
HTTP/1.1
ron> 672-0 - 0/0/9 .  0.00 99551 3 0.0 0.00 0.00  172.148.188.0 www.aaa.com GET /hrm.php?id=11
HTTP/1.1
ron> 673-0 - 0/0/4 .  0.00 99548 0 0.0 0.00 0.01  165.121.86.0 www.aaa.com GET /files/blah.exe
HTTP/1.1

ron>     If anyone have any information on why children would stop
ron>     processing requests, your help would be greatly appreciated.
ron>     Restarting apache 3 times a day to get maximum performance isn't
ron>     to my likings :-(

ron>     Also, my scripts are coded well, and most of them are simple.
ron>     Most of the content from my page is in HTML/XML format.

Still looking for an answer if anyone has a clue. :)

--
Best regards,
 rulerpen                            mailto:rulerpen@optonline.net