httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lee Fellows <lfell...@4lane.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Relating URL name to Document Root
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2003 20:07:43 GMT
On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 19:30, George Walsh wrote:
> In the past I have been able to accomplish this without difficulty. Now, in the ADVX
version of Apache 2.0.44, I have encountered a brick wall.

> I have 2 urls pointing to the same IP on the external net.

  OK.  1 external IP address known to the world.

> I have 2 ip aliases assigned for these on the localhost.

  How are you going to map from 1 ip address to 2 internally?

> Each has a Virtual Host entry (by number), along with servername, documentroot etc.

  Sounds like IP-based VirtualHosts.

> On the localhost everything works perfectly.

  Makes sense.

> Dig and nslookup -sil return the expected data, and sendmail works fine as
> well.

  OK.  But maybe unimportant.

> The problem is with requests from the external net. No matter which of the 2
> urls is referenced, the page returned is the default page from the default
> (main) server.

  Comes back to 'how to map from 1 external address to 2 internal ones'.
  Unless you have a http-proxy between the outside and the inside, I
  don't see this as possible.

> It seems to me that Apache needs to lookup the url in dns and then read the
> VirtualHost Container. Obviously, it isn't doing that.

  What 'url'?  The one handed in from your router/firewall?  Seems I
  remember some discussion re: a linksys router.  IIRC, they do
  port-forwarding, not NAT'ing.  So both 'urls' are being forwarded to
  a single IP address inside.

  Suggestion would be to use Name-based VirtualHosts.  Both hosts on the
  same internal IP address, but with different server names.