httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lee Fellows <lfell...@4lane.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Error: Unclean shutdown of previous Apache run?
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 14:52:05 GMT
On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 09:10, System wrote:

> > On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 01:11, System wrote:
> >
> > > [Thu Apr  3 01:03:58 2003] [warn] pid file
> /usr/local/apache/logs/httpd.pid
> > > overwritten -- Unclean shutdown of previous Apache run?
> > >
> > > The message is not much difficult to understand. It looged this bcoz of
> the
> > > previous improper shutdown of apache. so i killed all the httpd process
> > > everything and retarted apache. It restarts it but my error_log is
> filled
> > > with this message?
> > >
> >   How did you kill all the httpd processes?  Usually, this message
> >   indicates that apache was stopped through some means other than
> >   './apachectl stop' and the httpd.pid file gets left.  When you
> >   then attempt to restart apache, the process notes that the httpd.pid
> >   file still exists, although no httpd process by that pid is running.
> >   Hence the error message.
>
> I tried with killall httpd and even kill HUP `cat /path/to/httpd.pid' but
> both said "No such process ID".
> I recompiled Apache 1.3.27 but even then It didn't started.
> I am on Redhat 7.3 box.

  OK.  I am lost.  We were talking about the error message, which is
  merely a warning and does not prevent Apache from starting.

  Why did you feel you needed to use killall or kill HUP to stop Apache,
  as opposed to using the apachectl script?

  Once Apache has been stopped, if you remove the httpd.pid file (if
  it still exists), you will not get the warning message on the next
  startup.

  As to why your newly compiled Apache 1.3.27 would not start, what
  was recorded in the error_log file?

--
Lee Fellows <lfellows@4lane.com>