httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lee Fellows <lfell...@4lane.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Error: Unclean shutdown of previous Apache run?
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 14:01:11 GMT
On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 01:11, System wrote:

> [Thu Apr  3 01:03:58 2003] [warn] pid file /usr/local/apache/logs/httpd.pid
> overwritten -- Unclean shutdown of previous Apache run?
>
> The message is not much difficult to understand. It looged this bcoz of the
> previous improper shutdown of apache. so i killed all the httpd process
> everything and retarted apache. It restarts it but my error_log is filled
> with this message?

  How did you kill all the httpd processes?  Usually, this message
  indicates that apache was stopped through some means other than
  './apachectl stop' and the httpd.pid file gets left.  When you
  then attempt to restart apache, the process notes that the httpd.pid
  file still exists, although no httpd process by that pid is running.
  Hence the error message.

--
Lee Fellows <lfellows@4lane.com>