httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lee Fellows <lfell...@4lane.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Invalid method in request \x80L\x01\x03
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2003 15:20:34 GMT
On Wed, 2003-04-02 at 09:52, System wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> since yesterday httpd logfiles are filling with entries like these:
>
> [Wed Apr  2 09:43:01 2003] [error] [client 64.133.59.136] Invalid method in
> request \x80L\x01\x03
>
> Does anybody have seen this before? I never saw the \x??? request stuff
> before. Maybe some kind of DoS attack / exploit attempt?

  This is almost funny.  Didn't we see precisely the same pattern once
  before just recently?

  What does the corresponding entry in your access_log file look like?

  My guess is someone attempted to access a non-https port using
  the https protocol.  Now whether this was accidental, i.e., someone
  entering https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80/, or someone attempting to
  correctly access port 443 when the host monitoring that port is not
  configured for SSL, I do not know.

--
Lee Fellows <lfellows@4lane.com>