httpd-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From gjmwa...@netscape.net (George Walsh)
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Relating URL name to Document Root
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2003 23:25:15 GMT
Lee Fellows <lfellows@4lane.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 16:32, George Walsh wrote:
>
>> In my naivety I assumed that when incoming traffic was directed (forwarded) 
>> to the main host, that it would be passed through dns to resolve the url into
>>  the local ip number and therefore trigger the virtual host container. 
>> From what you say, this cannot happen.
>
>  Actually, the resolution already occured before the request reaches
>  your router/gateway device.  Because you only have one outside address
>  and no http-proxy mechanism, your server will see all requests come
>  to the same address:  whichever one you set up in the port forwarding.
>
>  
>
>> 
>> >
>> >> 
>> >> Each has a Virtual Host entry (by number), along with servername, documentroot
etc.
>> >
>> >  Sounds like IP-based VirtualHosts.
>> 
>> Yes, because I eventually need ssl and all I've read says that is not an 
>> option with name-based VirtualHosts.
>
>  Yes, name-based VirtualHosts will not work for multiple SSL hosts.
>  But here I come to my limitations:  from my perspective, either you
>  would need to proxy from a third host to the first two; or you need
>  2 external IP addresses. 
>
>  Anyone see anything I am missing, or misunderstanding?

Hmmmm ... so this is a real problem after all. I have 2 static ips available, but only use
one because I didn't want to purchase another Linksys. Maybe the thing to do is get rid of
the Linksys all together, lose the protection it provides, but be able to get on with my life!


Then it is presumably just a matter of linking each static ip to its own ethernet card, which
would require a total of 3; one for the localhost and one for each of the static ips.

I haven't had a chance to yet, but I will do some reading now on both apache proxy and the
Squid proxy included in the distribution.


>
>
>
>---------------------------------------------------------------------
>The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project.
>See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
>To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>   "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org
>
>


-- 
George Walsh,
Managing Director,
CruiseRoutes Division,
DSC Directional Services Corp
Courtenay, British Columbia, Canada


__________________________________________________________________
Try AOL and get 1045 hours FREE for 45 days!
http://free.aol.com/tryaolfree/index.adp?375380

Get AOL Instant Messenger 5.1 for FREE! Download Now!
http://aim.aol.com/aimnew/Aim/register.adp?promo=380455

---------------------------------------------------------------------
The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project.
See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
   "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org


Mime
View raw message