httpd-users mailing list archives

From Thomas Strike <stri...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Can't link to Apache 1.3 RH 7.2
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:38:24 GMT
Hi back,

It seems to me that you may either have a routing problem or DNS problem, or
both.
If you can access your web pages on your new Apache install via the
localhost but not from other machines, the other machines are simply not
finding your new web server.

I assume that your web router is using Network Address Translation and you
are using local IP numbers.  1st I would make sure that all of your machines
are properly connected to the local network. See if your machines can all
ping each other. I also assume that you are running your own DNS services
pointing the Internet to your Web services.  Then I would try to access my
website by dialing into the Internet through an outside ISP to make sure
that your DNS to the Internet is working properly.  then I would set up a
second DNS server to accommodate DNS lookups for my local network address
only visible to the local network.  I would then try to connect to my web
pages on the local network Using this DNS server.

At this point you would have a pretty good idea at where the problems are.

Tom S.