httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jeff Cohen" <li...@gej-it.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Newbie question - apache behind a firewall - please point me in the right direction!
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2003 05:33:56 GMT
Ok, from what I understood its not that you have an Apache problem but I'll
try to help you anyways.
If the Apache web server is behind both firewalls and you set up the second
one to be a DMZ host at the first one, you should just forward port 80 to
the Apache box.
Instead, you routed port 80 to a local address for the first firewall, its
easy as it sounds, just remove the exclution of the port 80 and the routing
that you put to port 80 on the second router and forward it to the apache
machine on port 80.

Would you have any questions, please contact me off the list because it's
totally off topic.
All the best,
Jeff Cohen

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul [mailto:pk27@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 2:22 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Newbie question - apache behind a firewall - please
point me in the right direction!

Hello.

I am trying to run a webserver behind a firewall.  I have a cable modem (cox
cable) and two routers - a wireless, behind which I plan on running the
webserver and a wired, behind which I keep my home PC.  The second firewall
is to protect the sensitive data that might be on my home PC from the
webserver and wireless vunerabilities.  Both are set up and are working
fine.

I have registered my domain name and use a dynamic DNS service (zoneedit).
Apache is setup and running, and I can see my webpage on any PC on my home
network (behind the first firewall or second) by typing the machine address
(192.168.0.xxxx).  The dynamic dns seems to be working, as if I type in my
webpage name (www.xxxx.com) on any machine inside either firewall, I get the
admin page for the first router (according to netgear, this is normal, as
the ip from the requesting pc is inside the firewall, so it assumes you want
to go to the admin page).  I don't have a DNS set up inside my network, so
the only way to resolve the webpage name must be through the dynamic DNS
service.

The problem is trying to access the webpage from outside the firewall.  I
can't see anything.  On the first router, the second router is set up as a
DMZ excluding port 80, which is directed to the machine running apache, so
that http traffic should be forwarded to the apache box.

Any ideas on the problem?  Where to start?  I guess it could be a apache
setup problem, a router/firewall setup problem, or a dynamic dns problem,
but I haven't been able to figure anything out.  Any hints would be
appreciated, or if anyone needs more information to help diagnose, please
let me know.

The only error message I get is when apache starts up, I get a message about
not having a fully qualified domain name, so it uses 127.0.0.1.  Could this
be the problem, since the apache box is 192.168.0.xxxx?

Thanks in advance.  Sorry if this is a dumb question - I a new to this.

Thanks.

Paul