httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Hosts VS Multiple Instances
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2003 21:50:00 GMT
On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Larry Hytail wrote:

> I have been reading about using virtual hosts and using multiple
> instances of Apache.  I am uncertain as to when to use one rather than
> the other.
>
> In my case, I want to host three separate web sites (Let's call them A,
> B and C) all on the same Linux box.  Each web site will have its own
> distinct IP address.
>
> What should I be considering when trying to decide if I should implement
> these three sites as three virtual hosts under one Apache instance or
> three separate Apache instances.
>
> Any thoughts/pitfalls to avoid appreciated.

Using virtual hosts:
- Easier to manage (shared config)
- Possibly more efficient (because of sharing of resources)

Separate Instances:
- More stable (If one site has serious problems, it is less likely to
affect the others.)
- Better permission isolation (All serving can be done under different
userids.  With the virtual host model, you can use suexec to run cgi
scripts under different userids, but other requests will all run under the
same userid.)
- Customized modules (Using virtual hosts, all sites run with the same
modules.  Even if a module isn't active for a site, it still takes up
memory.  So for example, if only one site needs php and mod_perl, you may
be able to increase efficiency by running that site as a separate
instance of apache so that the "lightweight" sites can run without these
modules.)

In general, I would use virtual hosts because of the convenience factor
unless you have a big need for the permission isolation or the sites need
very different configurations (in terms of modules).

Joshua.