httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] startup scripts
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 15:58:07 GMT

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 krc@iNetwebz.com wrote:
> machine has to be booted or anything...can i just create a symlink using
> "ln -s /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl /etc/init.d/apache"?

In general, yes, this should work fine.  I don't know the exact
requirements of your version of Linux, but apachectl is designed to work
as an init script.

> and when creating the symlinks in rc[3|5].d, what services should be started
> and killed before apache?  the sever is running a little bit of everything
> (e.g. ssh, postfix, mysql, named, pro-ftp, etc.).

Apache requires only basic networking services, and possible the resolver
(named).

Of course, you shouldn't just configure this and forget it.  You should
test it (perhaps reboot during off hours) to make sure everything works
correctly.

Joshua.