httpd-users mailing list archives

From geb...@ameritech.net
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Question about systems
Date Sat, 08 Mar 2003 20:39:18 GMT
At 02:04 (UTC-0000) on Sat, 8 Mar 2003 Chris Taylor said:

= Solaris tends to be better than Linux in several areas, most notably it's
= networking reliability. You will probably see higher throughput and
= efficiency there.

I haven't heard this before.  Is there a study you could point to that
would provide some info?

Frankly, I would think it highly likely that the opposite would be the
case, given that it's possible, not simply to tune the Linux kernel, but
to configure and compile it for specific purposes.  And yes,
lower-level networking can be compiled into the Linux kernel while other
functions which are not needed can be left out, resulting in a smaller
faster kernel and so too faster, more efficient networking.

On the other hand, you can't compile your own Sun kernel.  And they
probably have features compiled in which aren't really needed, e.g.,
IPv6, perhaps IPX, and others, all of which would make their kernel
larger and slower.

Moreover, many Federal organizations such as the DoD, Wall Street firms,
news organizations like Reuters, and others use Linux.  I doubt they
would have considered it if networking reliability were any kind of
issue.

Chris, you've brought up an interesting issue.  If you've got more
information, I'd love to take a look at it.

tia,
ken

=
= However, the price factor is very important, as is that the PC would have
= twice as much RAM :) To be honest, 2 of the PC machines would probably be
= far better than the Solaris box. Maybe not twice as good, but not far off.
=
= Basically, you pay a lot for Sun, but if you have the cash, it's probably
= worth it.
=
= Chris Taylor - chris@x-bb.org - The guy with the PS2 WebServer -
= http://www.x-bb.org/chris.asc