httpd-users mailing list archives

From geb...@ameritech.net
Subject Re: [users@httpd] premisions problem
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2003 11:28:55 GMT

Security and other concerns aside, just in terms of users (browsers)
being able to read a file, it doesn't matter which uid or groupid owns
the file.  It only needs to be world-readable.  I believe you're saying
you *don't* want people (browsers) to be able to read the file, but only
execute it (yes?).  If so, then yes, "chmod 711" will do this.  If
ownership of the file is important (for some reason I can't fathom), it
can be changed with the "chown" command (do "man chown" for more info).
On most UNIX systems, however, you must be root to successfully change a
file's ownership.

Happy hacking,
ken