httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tim Wort <...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Question about systems
Date Sat, 08 Mar 2003 14:37:02 GMT

It seems to me you have already answered the question. Your most
experience is with Solaris, apparantly money isn't your number one issue,
it looks like the equipment you have selected (or are considering) will be
adaquate for your needs long term. Sun keeps there OS updated, the
knowledge base for help is large, they are well supported by GNU software.
If I were you, I would go with Solaris on Sparc.

I have a customer that has been using a Sun Sparc 20 for a LONNNG time as
a web server, its was one of the first  Sun Netra boxes but now runs
Solaris 8. Had he purchased a state of the art PC at the  time he bought
this, it would be a door stop by now. I have another customer that also
had Sun hardware but went to Linux, he now has Ultra 10 and a Sparc 20
both running Linux.

Okay, I should admit a couple of things here, I work primarily as a Unix
Instructor doing Sun and Lunix courses, I run a PC with windows and Linux
although I also use a Ultra 1 as my desktop system, I am at heart a
Solaris/Sun bigot. My opinion is tainted.

=        Inkling Research Inc.      =
=    Tim.Wort@InklingResearch.com   =
=        Tim.Wort@pobox.com         =
=        Eschew Obfuscation         =