httpd-users mailing list archives

From steve bernacki <apa...@f.copacetic.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Downgrading proxy requests to HTTP/0.9?
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2003 19:36:58 GMT
Greetings:

I'm attempting to use apache's mod_proxy to serve content to the world
from a server on my internal network.   This works well as long as the
internal host in question speaks "legal" HTTP.  However, I'm trying to get
mod_proxy to work with a very minimalistic http/0.9 server and am running
into difficulties.  Here is what I am seeing:

-User requests:
  GET http://myhost.com/content HTTP/1.1

-Apache receives request, issues a proxy request to the internal host:
  GET http://internalhost:8080/content HTTP/1.1

-Internal host processes only the GET line of the request, ignores protocol
version, and immediate begins spewing out the requested object (without
any leading headers, a la HTTP/0.9)

-Apache receives content and begins proxying content back to the client.
However, the content that the client receives is partially "munged" at the
top; I suspect part of the content was parsed/mistaken for headers.

I *suspect* that the problem is that Apache/mod_proxy is expecting a
HTTP/1.0+ request but in receiving a HTTP/0.9 request, is partially
mangling the content.   Is there any way to force a request (and expected
response) down to HTTP/0.9 for the proxy request to the internal server?
I'm aware of downgrade-1.0 and force-response-1.0, but is there any way to
downgrade to 0.9?

I am running apache 1.3.27 with mod_proxy.

Thanks,
Steve