httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Kevin Robert Casey" <...@inetwebz.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Handler for images in a directory.
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2003 00:11:13 GMT
i know this list isn't moderated, and i know that some things might bordline
off-topic, but come on now.  you didn't even say that you (or your friend)
were running apache.  you didn't even imply that you were running apache.
there's nothing specific to apache in your question.

you might get a better response at a list about cgi programming, or check
out:
http://www.cozyacademy.com
they're always looking to do something like that.

kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Meadors [mailto:clubneon@hereintown.net]
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2003 7:05 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Handler for images in a directory.

I was helping a guy with a site who has about 400 images in one
directory.  He already has links that tigger a pop-up window that
displays each of the images from various locations on his site.  The
Javascrip pop-up hides the menu bar, tool buttons, and address bar.  But
he was worried that people could still easily see the location in the
title bar of the window, and they could right click the image to save
it.  (I know these are all just little things, and if an image is
servered it can be saved, but he would make him happy to stop the right
clicks.)

So I added a handler that calls a CGI script to wrap the image in HTML
with a simple title and some more Java script to disable to right clicks.

The program is, this wrapper has still has to load the image.  Sure I
can get the REQUEST_URL, but if I just set that as the img src, it'll
just trigger the handler again.

So I whipped up a second CGI scipt that can be passed a URI and will
fetch the file off the drive directly, and basicly cat it with the right
Content-type header.

This was just a 5 minute thought that I threw together.  I was wondering
if anyone has any pointers to other ways this has been done?

Thanks.

--
Chris