httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dietmar.Muel...@eurotours.at
Subject [users@httpd] Antwort: [users@httpd] How many number of users can Apache withstand?. or how to set the maximum users limit on WIN2K server.
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2003 07:35:41 GMT

I have the same situation on my production engine.

I work with 1.3.27 and WebDB 2.1. If you use a stresstool you can test your
environment
and you will see, that not the webserver is the problem. The problem is,
that (with WebDb2.1 and 2.2)
you connect to DB via cgi-bin. And on every request you have to connect to
DB.The overhead
from cgi-bin and from creating sessions in DB is the problem.

There are some solutions:
-->  use the commercial iAS from Oracle. This is also apache, but there are
a module for PLSQL
     access inside with connection pooling.
-->  There exists a open source mod_plsql (http://modules.apache.org/) but
I think the
     architecture from the module is not very excelent and it is not very
stable (not for production)
-->  use fast-cgi
-->  Current I write my own access to DB with Java and connect with mod_jk
to tomcat and there
     I can use connectionpooling. (The WebToolkit(OAS_PUBLIC) from WebDb is
not wrapped,
     so you can see the code and use it)

That's it!
Apache is fast enough.