httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] .htaccess + htpasswd NOT working
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 09:29:43 GMT

Coming a bit late into this thread, but one thing struck me: When you
say you've "added" the contents of your .htaccess to the config, does
this mean you left the .htaccess file in place? And with "AllowOverride
All" still set? If so, the old .htaccess (which presumably is faulty)
will override whatever you put in the config...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

><Directory /var/www/strudel>
> AuthName "Strudel Access"
> AuthType Basic
> AuthUserFile /var/www/strudel/.htpasswd
> AllowOverride All
> Require User strudel
></Directory>
>
><VirtualHost 210.54.31.225:80>
>DocumentRoot /var/www/strudel
>ServerName www.strudelsoftware.com
>ErrorLog /var/log/apache/strudel-error.log
>CustomLog /var/log/apache/strudel-access.log common
></VirtualHost>
>
>I've set up the .htpasswd file permissions to the Apache Documentation.
>The .htpasswd file has been put into the document root to rule
>out the possibility that the apache user can't get to the
>directory it was formerly in.
>When authentication is #'ed out in the httpd.conf I can access
>the website fine so the apache user can acces the directory structure.
>
>My error.log shows this when I try to enter in a login/password.
>
>[Wed Feb 26 14:23:04 2003] [error] user strudel not found:
>/wedding/friends/
>[Wed Feb 26 14:23:06 2003] [error] user strudel not found:
>/wedding/friends/
>
>My access.log shows this at the same time.
>
>10.20.1.13 - strudel [26/Feb/2003:14:23:04 +1300] "GET
>/wedding/friends/ HTTP/1.1" 401 489
>10.20.1.13 - strudel [26/Feb/2003:14:23:06 +1300] "GET
>/wedding/friends/ HTTP/1.1" 401 489
>
>The apache server reports this as being it's "vital
>information": Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) Debian GNU/Linux
>mod_ssl/2.8.9 OpenSSL/0.9.6g PHP/4.2.3 configured
>
>I've spent several days trying to get this work and doing
>research with no joy at all and I would love some assistance :)
>If I can offer anymore information to help solve the problem,
>please let me know.
>
>Thank you very much,
>
>Astrid Hendra.

views of the sender's company.