httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] How does HTTPS work?
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2003 11:42:40 GMT

You think wrong. The HTTP headers (e.g. "Host:") ARE encrypted. If they
weren't, you could do name-based virtual hosting over SSL... (which, we
all know, you can't :-)

>> (esp. http://wp.netscape.com/eng/ssl3/draft302.txt)
>This doc says the SSL layer sits in between TCP and
>HTTP. So I am interested in what SSL write over TCP.
>I do not want it all, just a simple example as
>ordinary HTTP is explained in
>http://www.jmarshall.com/easy/http/

This is a really good write-up! Unfortunately, I've no idea whether such
a write-up exists for SSL (search around with google?) If you do find
something, I'd be keen to see it so please post it back.

>> If you can read it, it's not HTTPS...

Sorry. I was being facetious. It just reminded me of the old joke:
1st guy: I'm worried my daughter is growing cannabis in her room.
2nd guy: Try smoking some; then if you're still worried, it isn't
cannabis.

>Thanks again, and if this is not related to this
>mailing list, please let me know who can me help me.

You could try the mod_ssl list (http://www.modssl.org/support/)...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>-rf

>Yahoo! Platinum - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness, live on your desktop!
>http://platinum.yahoo.com

views of the sender's company.