httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Changes to httpd.conf file not being affected
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2003 08:58:34 GMT
>-----Original Message-----
>From: ken.brown@dialwrap.co.uk [mailto:ken.brown@dialwrap.co.uk]
>
>Done that

Are you the original poster (Andrew Zeon)? If so, it's confusing if you
change email id in mid-thread, If not, what are you talking about?

If you are the original poster and if you have followed Jeff's
instructions and made a deliberate typo in the config and verified that
apache fails to start with a syntax error, then there are many other
reasons your changes might not appear to take effect:

- They are applying to the wrong File, Directory, VirtualHost container
etc. Double check that the scope of the directives matches the webspace
you expect to find effect in.

- They are being overwritten by competing directives in a .htaccess
file. Check you don't have a .htaccess lurking in the target dir (or in
a directory above it - subdirs inherit, remember). If in doubt, put
"AllowOverride None" in the main config to disable all .htaccess files.

- The directives have no effect. If they apply to a non-existant file or
directory nothing will happen and you may not get a warning or error
(depending on the directive).

- The directive you are editing is being superseded by a later directive
with the same scope (later overwrites earlier in precendence) or my a
more specific directive (directives applied to a subdir supersede those
for the parent dir - generally). Check all directives of a similar
nature and verify you don't have conflicts.

- You are not testing the directive properly. Make sure the URL you are
requesting will cause the directive to be exercised.

If you don't find the problem yourself, post the section of the config,
a description of what you want to happen and a description of what is
actually happening.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

views of the sender's company.