httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] New to SSL
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2003 13:41:27 GMT

With the intention of informing myself more about this important and
interesting subject, I'd like to raise a hand at this comment.

My understanding is that, mathematically speaking, SSL is exactly as
secure with a self-signed cert as it is with a "real" cert from a
professional certificate authority (e.g. Verisign). What you buy when
you buy a Verisign cert is not additional encryption power, but
*authentication* - the browser will be able to verify that your site
really does have the right to use that domain-name.

Personally, I would never type in my credit card number to a form if the
browser was warning me that the cert and the domain-name didn't match.

You get a lot of mails on this list and on the mod_ssl list asking, "How
do I get SSL working - I just want encryption, I don't care about
authentication...". I usually try to point out that it is like asking,
"I want to send money to the bank - I want an armoured car to come and
collect it but I don't care where the armoured car actually goes..."

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

views of the sender's company.