httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] KeepAlives
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2003 11:22:44 GMT

Basically right, but to be pedantically precise, one request = one file,
so you should rather say "there is no need to open a separate connection
for each file in a series of requests relating to a single page". So
after the first HTML file is delivered, the server keeps the connection
alive expecting to receive subsequent requests for the images, CSS
files, Java applets or whatever else might be in the page.

>However, when I enabled them:
>KeepAlive On
>There was a notable degradation in the performance of the Web server.

This is the default, so presumably you had KeepAlive off previously? If
so, what did you have for MaxKeepAliveRequests?

Also, what do you have for MaxClients? If this is set very low, you
might be hanging up all your daemons waiting on keep-alive requests...

Apache version and OS would be helpful if you post a follow-up :-)

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>Am I missing something? More info needed?
>
>Cheers,
>Nigel
>
>MIS Web Design
>http://www.miswebdesign.com/