httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] How many number of users can Apache withstand?. or how to set the maximum users limit on WIN2K server.
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2003 08:29:27 GMT
Plain text please...

>1. How many users it can cope with?

Recall how HTTP works - "users" (i.e. clients) make requests and each
request is a separate transaction with the webserver. The user is not
really connected, as in telnet for example. At the server end there are
many copies of apache running. In 1.3, these are separate daemons, in
2.0 (and on win2k, I think) these are different threads. On windows,
this is controlled by "ThreadsPerChild". Thus the server can handle
multiple simultaneous requests because each is handled by a different
daemon or thread.

Having said that, a client can request "Keep-Alive" and then the server
will keep open its TCP/IP session while waiting for a subsequent
request. You can limit how long apache will wait by setting
"KeepAliveTimeout". You can also limit how many requests any individual
daemon will serve on a Keep-alive session by setting
"MaxKeepAliveRequests".

The limit to the rate of requests apache can handle is not really
determined by the webserver - it is a limit of your hardware. If apache
receives more requests than the current set of daemons can handle, it
will simply spawn more daemons. Eventually, you will run out of main
memory but that is your problem, not apache's :-) You can limit the
number of daemons by setting "MaxClients".

>2. How will it handle the orphan processes?

That's the great thing about apache. Any problem with any particular
daemon is cleared when that process expires. I'm not too familiar with
the thread model but I guess a similar process occurs - problem threads
are reaped by the parent and their resources are garbage-collected.

>3. How to control the maximum number of user sessions?

Read up on the directives I mentioned above and check out
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/perf-tuning.html for more details.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle