httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] problem configuring mod_rewrite rule
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2003 08:02:54 GMT

So you have a different problem. I'm still not entirely clear what you are trying to achieve
because you haven't given a clear example. Can you please fill in the blanks (note - URLs,
not filepaths).

What The User Types:

What The URL Should Change To:

(Give several examples rather than using wildcard variable strings and so on...)

Since you are not using a [P] flag, I guess you are happy with mod_rewrite generating redirects.
Therefore the rewritten URL must be visible from the client. So what happens if you bypass
mod_rewrite and try to access the final URL directly from the client? I guess you get the
"permission" problem (BTW, I am assuming you mean a "403 Forbidden" - it would be helpful
if you always quote the HTTP status code and its official title instead of paraphrasing it).

In that case, the problem is that access to the destination URL is "Deny"-ed somewhere. Check
in the error_log for "access denied by server configuration"...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle