httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Uninstall Apache
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 16:37:52 GMT

"available as a service" is an awfully Windowsy expression... I assume you mean "make apache
startup automatically at boot using the run control mechanism" :-)

The standard apache install doesn't (can't!) make any changes in /etc/init.d - you have to
do this yourself. The simplest thing to do is to symlink the apachectl script. Do you understand
how scripts in /etc/init.d are started at boot? They need to be symlinked to links in /etc/rc.local
(I'm guessing about the paths here - all Linuxes are a bit different). As the machine climbs
through run levels on booting, it executes scripts beginning with an "S" with the argument
"start". Roughly speaking, you should have:

/etc/rc.local/rc.3/S50apache -> /etc/init.d/apache
/etc/rc.local/rc.S/K50apache -> /etc/init.d/apache
/etc/init.d/apache -> /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl

I'm being deliberately vague here - if you know a bit about this, you should get it. If it's
all Greek to you,  you shouldn't really be messing around in /etc and should read up a bit
on start-up scripts, run levels etc.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle