httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Manu Kits" <manojkithany...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache-Basic Authentication How To
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:59:28 GMT
Hi Joshua,

My Many Many Thanks again!

Actually before implementing Authentication my both URL's work just fine.
They DISPLAY file from the respective FILESYSTEM.

Now I want to implement Authentication for 1 URLS. There are 2 USERS (BILL
and GATES).
Both these users have different web sites and server different auidence.

www.myhostname.com/bill/index.html is OPEN for only AUTHORIZED users...one
who have been assignned UserName/Password.

www.myhostname.com/gates/index.html is OPEN to ALL PUBLIC...anyone can
access this web site.

Before implementing Authentication both the above URL's display just fine.
Now I want to BLOCK the former URL and implement Authenticatin for that
only.

I DO NOT get any ERRORS. The ISSUE is that IT SHOULD PROMPT me for
USRENAME/PASSWORD for top URL.

Here is the transcript again.....

I am using Apache 1.3.26 on IBM AIX

I want to implement Basic Authentication on Apache (Ref: htpasswd)

I have 2 users with their respective directories:
USER NAME HOME DIR     public_html
BILL /home/bill    /home/bill/public_html
GATES /home/gates   /home/gates/public_html

I want to IMPLEMENT Basic Authentication for User BILL and NO Authentication
for user GATES.
How can I do that - is it possible to have Basic Authentication for User
BILL and NO Authentication for User GATES?

This is what I have done....
<Directory />
  Options +FollowSymLinks
  AllowOverride All
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
</Directory>

#### BASIC AUTHENTICATION for USER BILL ####

<Directory /home/bill/public_html>
  Options +FollowSymLinks +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch +Indexes
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
  AllowOverride All
  AllowOverride AuthConfig
  AuthType Basic
  AuthName "By Invitation Only"
  AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache2003/passwd/apache_password
  Require valid-user
</Directory>

#### NO AUTHENTICATION for USER GATES ####

<Directory /home/gates/public_html>
  Options +FollowSymLinks +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch +Indexes
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
</Directory>

THANKS!