httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Manu Kits" <manojkithany...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache-Basic Authentication How To
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:25:01 GMT
Hello Joshua,

I want to have Authentication ENABLED for one user and DISABLED for other
user.

When I use following config. it DOES NOT work as expected! It shows the Home
page for ALL USers.

Here is the transcript.....

I am using Apache 1.3.26 on IBM AIX

I want to implement Basic Authentication on Apache (Ref: htpasswd)

I have 2 users with their respective directories:
USER NAME HOME DIR     public_html
BILL /home/bill    /home/bill/public_html
GATES /home/gates   /home/gates/public_html

I want to IMPLEMENT Basic Authentication for User BILL and NO Authentication
for user GATES.
How can I do that - is it possible to have Basic Authentication for User
BILL and NO Authentication for User GATES?

This is what I have done....
<Directory />
  Options +FollowSymLinks
  AllowOverride All
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
</Directory>

#### BASIC AUTHENTICATION for USER BILL ####

<Directory /home/bill/public_html>
  Options +FollowSymLinks +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch +Indexes
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
  AllowOverride All
  AllowOverride AuthConfig
  AuthType Basic
  AuthName "By Invitation Only"
  AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache2003/passwd/apache_password
  Require valid-user
</Directory>

#### NO AUTHENTICATION for USER GATES ####

<Directory /home/gates/public_html>
  Options +FollowSymLinks +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch +Indexes
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
</Directory>

THANKS!