httpd-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Nigel Peck - MIS Web Design" <ni...@miswebdesign.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] KeepAlives
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2003 16:55:36 GMT
Hi, thanks for your response,

My imediate reaction to number 1 is that I don't want to change anything on
my client machine because my users won't have changed it (99%).

AFAIK there is no Proxy server, again as you say there will be for many
users, in this situation KeepAlive's should just not be used because the
request would not ask for them and therefore no negative effect?

I haven't come across Pipelining as yet, but I didn't change anything other
than the KeepAlive statement in between tests.

At the minute the performance is fantastic with them off and c**p with them
on so they're staying off but I understand the advantages (that's why I
turned them on) and would like to have them on if I can figure this one out.

FYI my client is Win2k SP2 running IE6 SP1. No other patches applied.

What's a sensible value for MaxClients with the following hardware spec,
plenty of bandwidth (190), running up to 50 sites (low usage):

Intel Celeron 1.8 Ghz
128 MB of Memory (DDR RAM)

It's currently 150. I'm assuming if a request takes at most a second then
150 requests a second is very unlikely to be reached.

Cheers,
Nigel

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Stephen Pierzchala [mailto:stephen@pierzchala.com]
> Sent: 17 March 2003 16:42
> To: users@httpd.apache.org
> Subject: RE: [users@httpd] KeepAlives
>
>
> All:
>
> My experience with Keep-Alives has been very different, but as you say,
> this is in a test environment.
>
> A couple of things to watch for with Keep-Alives:
>
> 1) RWIN of accessing OS. Because you are keeping the connections open,
> you will actually reach the RWIN limit of your OS and throttle your own
> connection. Apply the patches to the MSFT OSes to ensure that your RWIN
> is set to 65536 + Window Scaling factor on.
>
> 2) Are you accessing the system through a proxy that does not allow
> Keep-Alives? Watch for this; remember, many of your customers are in the
> same boat.
>
> 3) Did you turn on HTTP Pipelining (Only relevant for Mozilla/Netscape 7
> and Opera)? Apache USUALLY does not have a problem with pipelining, but
> if you are going through a proxy server....????
>
> Just some thoughts...
>
> smp
>
> --
>
> ****
>
> Stephen Pierzchala
> stephen@pierzchala.com
> http://www.pierzchala.com/
> http://www.webcompression.org/
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project.
> See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>    "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project.
See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
   "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org


Mime
View raw message