httpd-users mailing list archives

From k..@iNetwebz.com
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Problem with mod_limitipcon not limiting concur rent connections
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 16:18:03 GMT
at the risk of sounding stupid, try increasing the sleep time from 10 to
something like 60.  i doubt that it would take you more than 30 seconds to
refresh 3+ windows, but mozilla might be slow for whatever reason.

also, if dnp.ams.org responds to more than one ip address make sure that all
the mozilla requests are hitting the same ip.

i don't know if anything i've suggested will help, but i know the obvious
answers are the first ones i overlook.
kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Pelton
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Sent: 3/3/2003 10:51 AM
Subject: [users@httpd] Problem with mod_limitipcon not limiting concurrent
connections

I am using mod_limitipconn with apache 1.3.22 on Linux to limit the
number
of concurrent connection for by IP address. I am using the module as a
DSO.
When I call a perl cgi which just sleeps from apache benchmark

  ab -n 4 -c 4 -d -S http://dnp.ams.org/cgi-bin/sleep.pl

I get the correct response in the error log.
   "Client exceeded connection limit."

When I run the same cgi 5 consecutive times. Each cgi invocation is in a
different browser window (Mozilla 1.2). I do not get an error message.
Each
cgi runs to completion. This doesn't make any sense to me since it's
running the cgi 5 times concurrently.

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

This is how I have configured mod_limitipcon.
<mod_limitipconn.c>
    <Location />
        MaxConnPerIP 3
        # exempting images from the connection limit is often a good
        # idea if your web page has lots of inline images, since these
        # pages often generate a flurry of concurrent image requests
        NoIPLimit image/*
    </Location>
</IfModule>

This is the perl cgi I am using to test.
#!/usr/local/bin/perl -w
use lib  "/usr/lib/perl5";  # add to library list
use strict;     # enforce var declarations
use CGI qw(-debug);
my $cgi = new CGI;

print $cgi->header;
print $cgi->start_html(-title=>"Keep connection open test",
                           -BGCOLOR=>"#FFFFFF");
sleep (10);  # wait
print "Done<br>\n";
print $cgi->end_html();