httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Ritchie <J...@pri.com.au>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Handler for images in a directory.
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 23:49:09 GMT
Chris, not to start a huge debate or anything, and not meant as a comment
either why :)

Why does he want the pictures protected from coping? I had always thought
the idea of the net was for the free
exchange of ideas and images (outside the corporate world of course). If
he's an artist or photographer can
understanding him wanting to protect his work and copyright.

As stated, not after a huge debate on this subject, just enquiring what the
reason is. And before anyone accuses
me of advocating out of date ideas, at one of our websites we effectively
stop guests from viewing the shareware and
freeware forums, tutorials, and employment forums till they join.

Cheers,
Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Meadors [mailto:clubneon@hereintown.net]
Sent: Tuesday, 4 March 2003 11:05 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Handler for images in a directory.

I was helping a guy with a site who has about 400 images in one
directory.  He already has links that tigger a pop-up window that
displays each of the images from various locations on his site.  The
Javascrip pop-up hides the menu bar, tool buttons, and address bar.  But
he was worried that people could still easily see the location in the
title bar of the window, and they could right click the image to save
it.  (I know these are all just little things, and if an image is
servered it can be saved, but he would make him happy to stop the right
clicks.)

So I added a handler that calls a CGI script to wrap the image in HTML
with a simple title and some more Java script to disable to right clicks.

The program is, this wrapper has still has to load the image.  Sure I
can get the REQUEST_URL, but if I just set that as the img src, it'll
just trigger the handler again.

So I whipped up a second CGI scipt that can be passed a URI and will
fetch the file off the drive directly, and basicly cat it with the right
Content-type header.

This was just a 5 minute thought that I threw together.  I was wondering
if anyone has any pointers to other ways this has been done?

Thanks.

--
Chris