httpd-users mailing list archives

From Razvan Costea-Barlutiu <cbraz...@laitek.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Excellent:Delivering empty content? Why?
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2003 14:55:50 GMT
At 15:43 06.03.2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Yes, because basically, what AV software does, intercepting a try to open
>a file, reading and checking it, and then sending it to the process that
>is trying to access it.
>Normally, the AV software is running as a more privileged user (usually
>SYSTEM on Windows), so it has priority on a normal user process.
>But here, you have two processes belonging to SYSTEM, Apache and FSAV,
>fighting to open and read a file first.
>The least that can happen is severe perormance degradation (I had that
>problem with Norton AV on a development Win2000 Apache server, until I
>disabled it).
>
>What you can try to do is tweak the configuration of FSAV. For example,
>avoiding any check on Apache subdirs, or HTML files, or check only on
>writing a file, not for a simple read.
>
>You should be aware that those end-user AV software are *not* made to be
>used on a server, there are different versions for that (I spent a while
>working on FSAV in a distributed environment, with production servers and
>desktops clients).

Thanks a lot Laurent! So what was just a hunch seems to be true. The weird
problem here is (and this is actually why I did not put F-Secure on the
table in the first place) that are many other processes around that run as
system and though, these kind of problems do not occur. Continuing the
discussion on this path however would lead us much off-topic.
So, this is settled (even without un-installing the program).

Thanks you again both (Owen and Laurent) in assisting me.

Regards,
--Razvan