httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] location of online docs from httpd-manual RPM are inconvenient
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2003 22:31:31 GMT
Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>  it seems that the online docs installed via the httpd-manual
>RPM are in entirely the wrong place to be useful.
[...]
>  is this really a bit of a design flaw, or am i missing something
>obvious here?

Yes, you are missing something obvious.  Do this:

Alias /doc/ /usr/share/doc/			# This is my path to the docs.
												# I suggest you check out
												# www.pathname.com/fhs/, for the
												# Filesystem Hierarchy Standard, and
												# move yours to a more appropriate
												# location

<Location /doc>
	order deny,allow
	deny from all							# keep the aliens away from my
												# stuff
	allow from 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0	# you may want to include other
												# hosts from your LAN
	Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Multiviews		# Be sure you haven't
												# disabled Indexes globally.
</Location>

Now, for any docs you want to read in your browser, do:

	http://localhost/doc/

You will get the root of your doc tree.  Just click the links to go the
docs you want.  What could be more convenient?

--
gt           kk5st@sbcglobal.net
The advice is free, and worth every cent.