httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ja...@aol.com
Subject [users@httpd] Iraq war. Side effect on my logs.
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2003 05:15:25 GMT
Over the last week the number of hits to one page in my site increased
dramatically. From about 10 a day to over 1000,

I only relate this story out of interest as the one thing you learn in this
buisiness is that there is always another new problem or bug out there
waiting to bite you on the bum.

On deciding to check my logs for some sort of DOS attack or malformed spider
I couldn't find anything useful.

No IP visited over 30 times, no special spider. In fact the pattern appeared
random with only a few having a REFER entry and only a few from search
engines.

The only significant entry was fro a news organisation ntk.net with about 25%.

I then looked at the page in questio as this is a 'Holiday Home Exchange
Site'  and not particlularly newsworthy.

And now a small glimmer of understanding dawned.

The page for the offer of a Home Swap, which has existed for 3 years,
displayed the details of a house in Baghdad
The home,town and area descriptions contain words like 'airport'', 'full
security', ' guard', 'American'  all in an inauspicious context.

The only conclusion I can draw, as I don't think that anyone really wants to
home swap to Baghdad at the moment, is that there is a lot of information
stored 'out there somewhere' that we don't know much about and a lot of very
busy agencies (800 different IP hits).

So what moral can I draw.
1. Whenever you go looking for the expected always be prepared for the
unexpected.
2. Big brother (or Junior in this case) is watching over us.