httpd-users mailing list archives

From Laurent Blume <laurent.bl...@infores.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Delivering empty content? Why?
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2003 14:43:51 GMT
> And still, yes! I am wondering why the pages are being whipped.
> But you are helping with your post... So, basically are you saying that
> I should expect this when using AV software? Maybe it is F-Secure after
> all...

Yes, because basically, what AV software does, intercepting a try to
open a file, reading and checking it, and then sending it to the process
that is trying to access it.
Normally, the AV software is running as a more privileged user (usually
SYSTEM on Windows), so it has priority on a normal user process.
But here, you have two processes belonging to SYSTEM, Apache and FSAV,
fighting to open and read a file first.
The least that can happen is severe perormance degradation (I had that
problem with Norton AV on a development Win2000 Apache server, until I
disabled it).

What you can try to do is tweak the configuration of FSAV. For example,
avoiding any check on Apache subdirs, or HTML files, or check only on
writing a file, not for a simple read.

You should be aware that those end-user AV software are *not* made to be
used on a server, there are different versions for that (I spent a while
working on FSAV in a distributed environment, with production servers
and desktops clients).

HTH,

Laurent
--