httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Shawn W. Devlin" <sdev...@recognia.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Launching X-Server based apps
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2003 19:08:03 GMT
Hello,

I have a program that requires X that I need to launch from a cgi, not
as a cgi. The program crunches some data and generates some charts. It
runs without interacting with a user. I don't want the program's display
shown to the caller of the cgi script. The cgi script will launch the
app, wait for it to exit, then grab the output and send that back to the
user.

When I initially set this up, the program would not run because it could
not attach to an X server. I used xhosts to grant the webserver
permission to access X. When I call the cgi script from the same box it
now works but it does not run when I call the cgi script from another
box. I believe this is because the other box has not been granted access
to X.

I did a search and while I can find references to running X programs and
having the display show up on the caller's box, I can't seem to find any
reference to simply running an X based program from a cgi. I suppose I
could start an X session for each launch but that could get expensive
quickly.

Does anyone know of a way to launch X based apps from a cgi?

--
Shawn W. Devlin
(613) 256-9200

Recognia Inc. - Changing the way people invest!

This communication contains confidential information and is intended only for the addressee.
Any unauthorized disclosure is strictly prohibited. If received in error, please contact the
author by return email or phone at (613) 256-9200.