httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chris Meadors <clubn...@hereintown.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Handler for images in a directory.
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2003 04:03:09 GMT
Kevin Robert Casey wrote:
> i know this list isn't moderated, and i know that some things might bordline
> off-topic, but come on now.  you didn't even say that you (or your friend)
> were running apache.  you didn't even imply that you were running apache.
> there's nothing specific to apache in your question.

It was implied, albeit weakly, by my use of the term handler.  As in
"Action" and "AddHandler".  But yes, the server is running Apache 2.0.

> you might get a better response at a list about cgi programming, or check
> out:
> http://www.cozyacademy.com
> they're always looking to do something like that.

I have the CGI working already.  I was wanting to do it without so much
CGI.  Have Apache just do more internally.  The "handler" works
perfectly.  Every "image/jpeg" in the directory calls the CGI script
instead.  But what I was wondering is if it would be possible to have
Apache be able to serve the image without a second script dumping it
from the drive.

I've been thinking about it.  I'll have to look at the environment of
the handler script to see if there is any way to detect it is the
handler being called recursively and then just serve the image.  If
there doesn't seem to be anything obvious to use, I'll just check to see
if the referer is equal to the file being served.

I should have probably initially just asked if there was a way for a
Handler for a directory to serve a file out of the directory same
without recursively calling itself.

But to sum up, I do have it working, I had it working before my first
post, I was just looking for other people who have done the same, to see
how I could improve it.

And yes, I totally agree with everyone that this is really futile, but
the guy is running a somewhat commercial sports site.  He has paid for
the images (they are HUGE) and wants to keep most of the people from
being able to save his data.  I've told him about water marking, and
every other argument, but he still thinks this is a good idea.

--
Chris