httpd-users mailing list archives

From Zac Stevens <...@cryptocracy.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How does HTTPS work?
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2003 04:55:13 GMT
On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 08:42:16PM -0800, Rufoo wrote:

> --- gebser@ameritech.net wrote:
> >
> > I think you're mixing up http(s) headers and packet
> > headers.  The latter
> > are visible to the proxy server but not the former.
>

> A http proxy gets the target host's name from the GET
> line, now in the case of https where is this
> available?

The client connects to the proxy and uses the 'CONNECT' method to establish
a connection to the secure server.  The argument to this method will be the
hostname and port number of the secure server.

I'm a little curious about your motivations here, Rufoo - are you just
curious about how this all works, or do you have an application in mind?
If the latter is the case, you'll probably get more helpful answers if you
give an outline of what you're trying to achieve.

Of course if you're just curious, that's great!  I wish more people would
take an interest in how these things work at a lower level :)

Cheers,

Zac