httpd-users mailing list archives

From Zac Stevens <...@cryptocracy.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3.26: Setting one child per client ?
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:44:56 GMT
Hi Alfonso,

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 12:30:38PM +0100, Alfonso Perna wrote:
> I want to have a "one child per client" behaviour of the server, in fact I'm
> trying to have the same child serving all the requests of the same client.

Unfortunately, this really isn't possible due to the way the HTTP protocol
works.  The closest it comes is HTTP/1.1 pipelined (or 'KeepAlive')
requests, where multiple requests are made one after the other over a
single connection to the server.  However, there is no guarantee that all
objects on a given page will be retrieved this way - nor, indeed, that only
a single connection will be used.  Many HTTP clients will open multiple
connections to the server so that several objects can be retrieved in
parallel.

Perhaps you can provide further details about why you're looking for this
behaviour, and hopefully someone on the list can suggest another approach.

Cheers,

Zac