httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lee Fellows <lfell...@4lane.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Need help - DirectoryIndex failure with SSL?
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2003 16:46:08 GMT
On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 11:21, James Sheridan-Peters wrote:
> This happens with Apache 2.0.43 and 2.0.44 on a Sparc/Solaris 8 machine.
>
> I'm trying to get an SSL-only site working that worked fine as a regular HTTP site.
The content serves perfectly fine if you specify the complete URL to the content file, but
fails due to the implicit redirect/rewrite if you specify a directory - ie. DirectoryIndex
takes over and tries to dish up the index file for the directory.

> Some examples:
>
> https://site.usp.org/dir/ fails upon being
> rewritten/redirected to http://site.usp.org:443/dir/index.html

  Why is it being rewritten to http://site.usp.org:443/ anyway.  This
  does not happen through a default apache install.  Second, of course
  it fails:  https and http are different protocols.  Redirecting a http
  call to the SSL port (443) does not make it an SSL connection.

> https://site.usp.org/dir/index.html succeeds.

  Proves your SSL host works properly.

  The problem is the rewrite.  What does the virtual host section of
  your httpd.conf file look like?  Particularly, do you have any
  RewriteRules used/defined anywhere in the httpd.conf file?

--
Lee Fellows <lfellows@4lane.com>