httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lee Fellows <lfell...@4lane.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to dynamically link expat library on HP-UX11.0
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2003 18:30:25 GMT
On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 12:43, Debbie Sammons wrote:
> It's a problem because the expat library is not always installed in
> /usr/local/lib (as it's not on several of my HPs), and I want to include it
> myself (specified in SHLIB_PATH).

  Uh ... Huh?  Statically linked libraries are independent of the
  location of developer libraries (libxxx.a) or shared-object
  libraries (libxxx.so).  One   purpose for statically linking an
  executable is so that it can be used on another system that does not
  have the library on it.

  I thought there was a misunderstanding.  I am not suggesting that
  you do not have good reasons for wishing to use a dynamically loaded
  expat library,  only that the reasons you offer are not valid.

  Checking the configure script, I do not see a mechanism that would
  allow you to customize how expat is linked, but I certainly may have
  missed it.

--
Lee Fellows <lfellows@4lane.com>