httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lee Fellows <lfell...@4lane.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Launching X-Server based apps
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2003 21:39:06 GMT
On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 15:44, Shawn W. Devlin wrote:
> Lee Fellows wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 15:19, Shawn W. Devlin wrote:
> >

> >>There is a display variable set in the environment   DISPLAY=:0.0
> >>

> >  No, you need to set the variable in the CGI itself.  Your environment
> >  is NOT inherited by the scripts running under Apache.
> >

> Sorry, I was not clear. In the CGI script there is a DISPLAY variable
> set. I have some programs that I have written that use gnuplot to
> generate graphics and these needed this setting.

  OK.  Try setting the display variable to its full, proper value:
  i.e., DISPLAY=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:0.0.  My reasoning being we don't know
  what is understood as the host portion of the host:display pair
  X-applications use to resolve the server they are to run against.
  It could be gnuplot is trying to open the Xsession on the calling
  machine.

--
Lee Fellows <lfellows@4lane.com>