httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lee Fellows <lfell...@4lane.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Launching X-Server based apps
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2003 19:55:36 GMT
On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 14:08, Shawn W. Devlin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a program that requires X that I need to launch from a cgi, not
> as a cgi. The program crunches some data and generates some charts. It
> runs without interacting with a user. I don't want the program's display
> shown to the caller of the cgi script. The cgi script will launch the
> app, wait for it to exit, then grab the output and send that back to the
> user.

  Does this 'app' actually open a window on your display while running?

> When I initially set this up, the program would not run because it could
> not attach to an X server. I used xhosts to grant the webserver
> permission to access X. When I call the cgi script from the same box it
> now works but it does not run when I call the cgi script from another
> box. I believe this is because the other box has not been granted access
> to X.

  Most likely you need to set the environment variable DISPLAY in the
  cgi script you use to invoke the app.

> I did a search and while I can find references to running X programs and
> having the display show up on the caller's box, I can't seem to find any
> reference to simply running an X based program from a cgi. I suppose I
> could start an X session for each launch but that could get expensive
> quickly.

  If it is actually openning a window on the display each time it is
  invoked, then I would be double-checking the man/info pages for
  headless operation options, or else looking for another application
  that could do the same job without needing to open a window.

--
Lee Fellows <lfellows@4lane.com>