httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ulrich Roth" <R...@impact.de>
Subject AW: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3.26, Netscape 4.7 and Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 14:21:47 GMT
Hi everybody,

okay, nobody knew the answer, but I found it out myself, so I
post it here. Maybe it's useful for other users who run into the
same troubles in the future.

> we encounter a problem with Apache 1.3.26, Netscape 4.7 and CSS.
> We want to transfer some web pages from IIS to Apache 1.3.26.
> In these web pages we use some CSS.
> When offering the pages under IIS, no browser has a problem
> showing the pages properly.
> Under Apache 1.3.26 (self-compiled on SuSE 8.0), all browsers
> show the pages properly except Netscape 4.7. It's ignoring the
> style sheets.
> For testing purposes I copied the pages to an older Apache
> 1.3.12 (SuSE 7.0 with the distro's Apache): Netscape shows
> them correctly.
> I thought the problem might be the MIME module, so I ran
> the Apache 1.3.12 with mod_mime.so from Apache 1.3.26.
> But the pages were still shown properly.
> Our developers say that other style sheets are also shown
> properly, they think the one that causes the troubles may be
> too big or too complicated.

Solution:
The thing is that we use the gzip module with the Apache.
The module was configured to compress all text/* MIME types,
that means also text/css.
In Netscape 4.x there is a bug which results in the problem I had.
So I searched for the mod_gzip configuration section in the httpd.conf
and inserted the following line:

mod_gzip_item_exclude file \.css$

Then I restarted Apache gracefully.
After this, CSS files aren't compressed any more during transfer
to the browser, but Netscape 4 shows the pages now correctly.
Bye
	Uli
--
Ulrich Roth
IMPACT Business & Technology Consulting GmbH