httpd-users mailing list archives

From "timuel" <timuel-apa...@voicenet.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Too many open files: couldn't spawn child process:
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2003 21:50:56 GMT
Jacob,

|>> Has anyone ever seen this in their error_log? I've found several
|>> threads in various archives but never any resolutions.
|>> "[Wed Mar 19 14:58:28 2003] [error] [client 127.0.0.1]
|>> (24)Too many open files: couldn't spawn child process:
|>> /home/users/v/vh/vhost/cgi-bin/somescript.cgi"

|> There are some proc settings in either /proc/sys/kernel or
|> /proc/sys/fs (file-max and inode-max) that you can up to
|> avoid running into this error again.

Many thanks for your suggestion, I made similar posts to three lists and yours
was the only response.

I spent the better part of today playing around with various /proc filesystem
settings and eventually ended up hacking/streamlining the living hell out of a
2.4.20 kernel to no avail. When suddenly it dawned on me to check the quota for
"nobody." Apparently there is another machine utilizing the same NFS mount that
I was and had daemon running under the same UID writing various cache and temp
files. Man, do I feel like an @$$hole.... =]

So -- for anybody in the future... always remember to mind your daemon UID's and
quotas when playing with NFS/NIS...

Thanks again, Jacob.

--
timuel